Who is a self-employed worker

You are a self-employed worker is you work in industry, in craftsmanship, if you provide professional or commercial services, including the establishment of a stock company, or if you hold a position in a company.

Residence permit for EU self-employed workers

If you are a EU citizen you can perform your job as a self-employed worker in Italy without any special restriction; you will have to comply with the existing rules for self-employed workers who are Italian citizens. If you are to stay in Italy for longer than three months, you will have to register with the Commune where you reside, handing over all the documents regarding your activity.

Residence permit for non-EU self-employed workers

If you come from a non-EU country, you are a non-EU citizen and if you intend to stay in Italy for longer than 90 days as a self-employed worker, you must first apply to obtain a ‘Permit for self-employed workers’ from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country. The permit must be granted or denied within 120 days as from the date of application and must be used within 180 days from its issuing. In order to obtain a residence permit as a self-employed worker you have to hand over within 8 days from your arrival in Italy the following documents:

 An application filled out and signed by the interested party
 Photocopy of all the pages of the passport or of an equivalent document

 Proof that you possess adequate resources for the activity you want to carry out in Italy

 Certificate showing proof of being on the relevant register

 Certificate issued by the relevant officer that there are no valid reasons to deny the authorisations necessary to carry out the activity
 Proof that the applicant has accommodation in Italy

 a statement proving that the annual income is higher than the minimum level requested by law to obtain exemption from paying NHS charges. Failing the income document, it is also possible to show a guarantee from agencies or Italian citizens legally resident in Italy.


How to apply to ask for a work permit from the Post Office


In all Italian Post offices you will find a free yellow Kit containing some of the documents necessary to apply in order to obtain a work permit. You have to fill in the kit by following the instructions carefully. Besides the application form, you must enclose the following documents:

 Valid Identity card (to be identified by the Post office employees)

 An A4 format photocopy of your identity card
 Photocopies of all the documents necessary to apply (A4 format)

After filling out the forms, you must go to the Friendly Counter in the Post Office to hand over all the documents in an open envelope. If you are applying for a renewal, you must also hand over a copy of the expired residence permit and you must always show your passport. The counter clerk of the Post Office will issue a receipt, which once enclosed to the expired passport, replaces and has the same validity as the present coupon. 

How much it costs to obtain a residence permit
If you come from a non-EU country and you apply for a work permit with a validity longer than 90 days, you have to pay  € 27,50 through a postal giro account  form that you will find at the Friendly Counter. Before going to the post office, you will have to buy a revenue stamp from a tobacconist’s costing  € 14,62 euro. An extra € 30 will have to be paid to the post office clerk on handing over the application. The total cost for a residence permit exceeding 90 days if you come from a non-EU country is  € 72.12.
Delivery of the residence permit

The immigration office will send you a registered letter containing the date of the appointment to finalise the application and hand over the electronic residence permit. 

List of Aid Societies where it is possible to apply for a residence permit:

In order to apply for a residence permit you can choose from the following list the institution nearest to your house. You will be provided with all the information you need regarding the correct documents and procedures to follow to make the application.

Fonti: Ministero dell'Interno - Polizia di Stato